Compatible Dimmer Switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have changed my 2 ceiling light fittings in the living room to 12v 20w GU4 Halogen lights with a single bulb in each. The fittings have built in transformers. The lights are flickering and the dimmer switch on the wall and the fittings are buzzing in an angry way!

I'm guessing the problem is the current wall dimmer switch (60-400w & 200-240v) is not compatible with the new halogen 12v 20w lights????

I've looked at various guides to dimmers but remain confused on what would be a compatible dimmer switch for this set up...trailing edge/leading edge and the rating etc etc?????

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Mallord

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the quick response and info. I enjoyed you leaving the maths for me to do to highlight my stupidity...well deserved!

In terms of the type of wall dimmer...Inductive or Resistive (leading edge) or Resistive (trailing edge) would you be able to help with that??? I would be more than happy to pay extra for a dimmer type that cut out buzzing.

I appreciate that dimming isn't ideal for halogen but we use the lights infrequently and are happy to take the consequences ie degraded bulb life.

General info for other potential posters.....something I didn't mention in my original posts but the lights are dimmable.

Thanks again for your quick initial response.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back