12V halogen bulbs buzz and flicker with dimmer

As I said, the bands are just that and inconclusive, if not totally irrelevant, for what you actually want to buy.

If you need a 12V lamp you will look for a 12V lamp - you will not be looking for a low voltage one if American nor extra low voltage one if British.

Sponsored Links
Well - If some one has 240V thinking it 12V then, presumably, it is possible.
Go on then - propose a credible mechanism whereby someone getting their terms wrong and buying a 12V lamp because it was described as "low voltage" and they already knew that "LV" meant 50–1000V, could lead to someone getting killed.

I don't think it would be people who already knew what it meant, would it?
I've explained that I don't think it applies to buying lamps as no one goes looking for LV or ELV lamps.

If someone were told correctly that their light fitting was LV and they work on it thinking that meant 12V then there could be consequences.

Could you please explain why some days you are a stickler for accuracy and others you don't care?

I didn't say I don't care.

I do have a problem with this kind of sensationalism:
12v is NOT low voltage. Mains, 240v is low voltage. 12v is extra low voltage.

Please get your terms correct before someone is killed.

Sponsored Links
Manufacturers are frequently wrong, plugtops when they mean plugs, digital aerials when no such thing exists are just two more examples.

Another example hot off the press:

CPC Bulk Bargains flyer through my door today. On page 61 shows GU5.3 LED lamps as MR16. Well they are that size but they also show a picture of the base with MR 16 on it. IDIOTS.

Importing items from the likes of China the buyer should be testing the item, but as to if they would also scrutinise the packaging is something else, and a 120 volt bulb in 230 volt is just as likely to fail as a 24 volt bulb in a 230 volt supply, so getting low and extra low voltage mixed up is not really an issue, the user should be always checking voltage matches. And my tube replacement for my outside lamps rated 85 - 250 volt is both extra low voltage and low voltage so can't really site the lack of word extra to cause problems.

Unless of course the voltage is not stated.

12v is NOT low voltage. Mains, 240v is low voltage. 12v is extra low voltage.
12V is both low voltage and ELV; there is no lower limit on the definition of LV. (Yes, I was surprised too!)

IEV ref
ecblank.gif
601-01-26
ecblank.gif

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

en
ecblank.gif
low voltage (abbreviation: LV)
ecblank.gif

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
a set of voltage levels used for the distribution of electricity and whose upper limit is generally accepted to be 1 000 V for alternating current

With reference to the other thread as well -

601 does not include a category of Extra Low Voltage so is it

a British category or
newer than the listed 601 or
something else?

If it is as you say then that makes the labelling of 12V lamps as low voltage even less appropriate than if it is just a mistake.

With reference to the other thread as well -

601 does not include a category of Extra Low Voltage so is it

a British category or
newer than the listed 601 or
something else?

If it is as you say then that makes the labelling of 12V lamps as low voltage even less appropriate than if it is just a mistake.
Try this one then:
IEV ref
ecblank.gif
151-15-03
ecblank.gif

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

en
ecblank.gif
low voltage (1)
low tension (1)
LV (1), abbreviation
ecblank.gif

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
voltage having a value below a conventionally adopted limit
Note – For the distribution of AC electric power, the upper limit is generally accepted to be 1 000 V.

And this:
IEV ref
ecblank.gif
826-12-30
ecblank.gif

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

en
ecblank.gif
extra-low voltage
ELV (abbreviation)
ecblank.gif

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
voltage not exceeding the relevant voltage limit of band I specified in IEC 60449

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back