Dimmer/smart switch combination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a 2 gang 1 way dimmer with a 2 gang 1 way dimmer and on/off switch but not sure how this would wire. I have 4 wires going into the old dimmer ,2 comms and 2 L1 but the new dimmer has 5 terminals with 3 terminals in the dimmer module and 2 in the smart switch can anyone enlighten me ? Thanks
20231106_131034.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The wire that is in COMMON on the old switch goes to the L. The wire in 1 way goes to L1.
Same for the other half. Dont mix the wires up.

Um. The new switch is a double width plate. Your old switch is a single width. How are you going to sort that?

The big question is are they all on the same circuit, i.e. does one circuit breaker turn off all?

I have a 4 gang switch, with two low voltage circuits, and one extra low voltage circuits, so am aware one can not always combine two circuits, the smart switch you have uses a single line feed, the old switch uses two line feeds, it may be they can be combined, but also combining could cause a borrowed neutral, which is both dangerous and will cause rcbo's to trip.

I did have a problem with that 4 gang switch where the wrong line was used, which did cause the RCBO's to trip, and if the extra low voltage circuit and low voltage got mixed up it would fry the smart relay.

The wire that is in COMMON on the old switch goes to the L. The wire in 1 way goes to L1.
Same for the other half. Dont mix the wires up.

Um. The new switch is a double width plate. Your old switch is a single width. How are you going to sort that?
Firstly, yes i have to replace back box. Does it matter which wires 2 wires go to which module ?

The big question is are they all on the same circuit, i.e. does one circuit breaker turn off all?

I have a 4 gang switch, with two low voltage circuits, and one extra low voltage circuits, so am aware one can not always combine two circuits, the smart switch you have uses a single line feed, the old switch uses two line feeds, it may be they can be combined, but also combining could cause a borrowed neutral, which is both dangerous and will cause rcbo's to trip.

I did have a problem with that 4 gang switch where the wrong line was used, which did cause the RCBO's to trip, and if the extra low voltage circuit and low voltage got mixed up it would fry the smart relay.
Yes one breaker turns off all the lights ,it's a one bedroom flat.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back