Dimmer switch flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made up a 3-gang dimmer switch using MK grid dimmer modules. Switch 1 is to 2 x 40W tungsten lamps, wired 2 way. Switch 2 is to 3 x 40W tungsten lamps, also 2-way. Switch 3 is to 4 x 50W 230v halogen lamps, 1-way. The supply live is bridged across the three L1 terminals on the switch modules.

I'm getting intermittent flickering on all three lights when the dimmers are set to less-than-maximum brightness, especially on start-up (which is the delay type). Any suggestions, as I'm baffled?

Sponsored Links
dimmer for halogens is wrong try a search for more info

- dimming halogens

Thanks Breezer - but the flickering still happens even with the halogen lights switched off. This doesn't make sense?

Sponsored Links
Remove the wires from each switch module in turn & wire them into a plateswitch. Turn off of course, and use a 2 pole device to check for dead.

Does the flickering still happen?

Shouldn't the supply live go via the L connections rather than L1 ? or doesn't it make any difference. I thought the switched lives went thru L1 or L2 for 1 way / 2 way switching

If it's a 1W switch, then it doesn't really matter, but convention is that live loop goes to C & switchwires to L1.

I'll do the plate switch test and see what happens - all connectons are otherwise good.

With dimmers it is common place to put the live to L1 and the load the squiggle (C).

Will work either way around though.

I see little point trying plate switches as you say it works on full brightness.

The MK web site has this comment

Note: Refer to MK Technical Services Department for derating factors when more than one unit is used in any one box.

Heat may be a problem but also the dimmers may be interacting with each other if they are creating spikes on the supply that affect the switching in the others. This did happen on some first generation dimmers and required ferrite bead chokes ( suppressors ) on the live feed to the dimmer modules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back