Dimmer switch and related

PHD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing a dimmer switch to control several down lights or, installing a 3 speed fan and switch, is the normal 3 wire flex suitable or do I run a different type of cable/flex, It seems to me thatI may need a 4 wire cable? I want to have the correct cable in place as I construct. The electrician will be able to hook up with out running cable later to the above items??

Sponsored Links
The three wire cable is suitable. Flex is not, use proper cable. Four wire cable is for two-way switches. However, I don't have much knowledge of Australian wiring A light fitting with an electric fan should not be controlled by a dimmer switch.

I think what you might be referring to on the fan is a 'loop' switching system. If you see the post entitled 'For Reference' it will show you a diagram of how it is done. If you don't have a loop installation and want to use the fan, don't worry, connect the switched live to the block marked 'loop', and don't bother with the connector marked 'live'.

Thanks for the help. I am only intending to run cable as I install walls etc and I take it standard3 wire cable is Ok for both lights and fan.

We used to have a British spark working in Australia on this forum, it's a shame he doesn't appear to be about anymore! :D

From what I understand, in Australia you MUST have all electrical work signed off by a licenced electrician. You might want to find an electrician willing to sign your work off before you do it, it may be that they don't want to/can't legally sign off someone else's work. Which would mean a whole lot of mess and holes cut in your nice new walls to get new cables in.

Also, try to find out what kind of cable you are allowed to use. In the UK, it is not acceptable to use flex in fixed wiring. This may be different in Au, but if you aren't absolutely 100% certain, try to find a recent book on domestic wiring. Your local library might have one.

Can I just say, "hahaha, it is nearly summer here, and nearly winter there now. Hahahaha!" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Adam> Yes I do have to have an electrician do the work and sign it off, The cable I am running is correct, just wanted to make sure I don't need a 4th cable for 3 speed fan install.
AND sooner have an Aussie winter in Queensland than a UK summer, been therte done that, I am still drying out

Back