Dimmer switch. Old wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to fit a dimmer switch for my living room light but the wiring is both old fashioned and double wired (due to there being two lights that do not work independently, despite having two separate switches). Could anyone please help? I have attached pictures of the current wiring and the new dimmer.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20180926_132220.jpg
    20180926_132220.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 20180926_132526-1.jpg
    20180926_132526-1.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 298
Sponsored Links
Com on old switch = arrow with wavy line on new switch.
L1 and L2 are the same on both old and new.

Thanks. It's the double wiring that's concerning me.

It is not old fashioned or double wired. It is standard wiring for a 2 way switch. If you don't understand that you should not be DIYing electrics.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I want to fit a dimmer switch for my living room light
Will you be happy with the situation that when you turn the lights on with the other switch they will come on at whatever brightness the dimmer is set to, and you'll have to go to the dimmer to change it if it's wrong?

You'll be able to turn the lights on and off from two places, but only control the brightness from one.

Will you be happy with the situation that when you turn the lights on with the other switch they will come on at whatever brightness the dimmer is set to, and you'll have to go to the dimmer to change it if it's wrong?

You'll be able to turn the lights on and off from two places, but only control the brightness from one.

Thanks. Yes I kind of assumed this would be the case. As long as I can dim them somehow I will be happy. Thanks for the tip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back