Dimmer with many LED downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if there would be any issues with having a single Dimmer control 20 Aurora 8W downlights? The lighting circuit has a further 6 lights on it (controlled separately) and wired into a 6amp breaker.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering if there would be any issues with having a single Dimmer control 20 Aurora 8W downlights?
There probably wouldn't be, provided that the dimmer was compatible with the lights in question (which I presume are 'dimmable'!) and rated to be able to handle the total load (160W) you are talking about. Aurora would probably be the best people to advise you on a suitable dimmer.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks @JohnW2. The dimmer is an Aurora brand too and was recommended by Lamps (electrical whoelsaler that I purchased the lamps and dimmer from). The downligts are dimmable and the dimmer is compatible. I already have two downlights running of the dimmer and now need to "click" the other ones in.

Sponsored Links
That sounds fair enough. Althoug 'VA' and 'Watts' are not exactly the same thing, it sounds as if the dimmer should be fine for your 160W total load.

The only thing I would warn you is that some people seem, for whatever reason, to experience problems when they dim a large number of lamps with a single dimmer. Unless Aurora can reassure you that the dimmer in question should be OK with 20 of their lamps, I fear that the only way you will find out for certain is by 'trying'!

Kind Regards, John

You need to read the small print although the dimmer states Max 400Va thats known as an inductive dimmer usually for wire wound transformers, there rarely used now apart from wire track.
You usually find the maximum load for LED lamps is a lot lower than that, regardless of it labeled 400Va.
They tend to state2 or 3 maximum loads, depending on, Tungsten, CFL or LED Load

similar to https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Varilight/V-Pro_Push_Dimmer_Instructions_768.pdf

We have had problems dimming large amounts of megamen dimmable Leds even with a V pro dimmer which boosts it can dim virtually anything Led and have resorted to fitting large commercial type dimmers.
Aurora are pretty helpfull and when phoned have advised us of the best set up to match and usually worked.
However delving into dimming in excess of 10 lamps, as john w says tends to be trial and error otherwise.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Will let you know how I get on. Should I be adding a few downlights at a time and testing before adding on the rest? I am using the blue click plugs so this could be done.

update - the dimmer is working perfectly with all 20 lights plugged in. I find it's smooth when dimming too. Very happy. Thanks for the support guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back