DIN Rail or separate PSU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm in the process of installing a new 'period feature' in our house - an Edwardian servants call bell system.
I've run all new wiring from the call bells to the existing front door-bell transformer which is sited just above the main CU.
In order to save me running more wires all over the house for the bell-pushes, I'm using a 433Mhz wireless system. The associated wireless relays need a 12v DC PSU.
I was going to get a standard 12v DC PSU (LED driver or similar) and connect it up to the same feed as the existing bell transformer, however I've since found MeanWell do a din-mounted unit:

https://www.rapidonline.com/Mean-We...J7uS6h1DNtcMdaVdCg7uu3GjSFiIuz6xoC5X8QAvD_BwE

Part of me thinks the DIN mounted PSU would be much neater. We have plenty of capacity on the existing CU to connect this up to. The other half of me thinks a separate stand-alone unit would be a better idea (safer?, ease of future maintenance etc.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of these DIN mounted PSUs? (I see they also make din-mounted AC door bell transformers..) Should I just stick to a dedicated external unit?

Sponsored Links
a separate stand-alone unit would be a better idea (safer?, ease of future maintenance etc.)

For me that is the better option. A mini CU case with DIN rail will take one of these
also make din-mounted AC door bell transformers.
and if needed Din Rail mounted relays can aslo be fitted into the same case.

Good luck with the 433 MHz wireless, hardwired would be worth the extra effort.

To fit it in the Cu would likely mean butchering the Bus Bar and the 12 volt output cables would need insulating to Mains voltage, you can still use a Din mounted one but proberly easier to put in a seperate enclosure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back