DIN Rail Mounted Doorbell Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
given spare space in a CU a DIN rail mounted transformer makes a neater job I can sleeve the "bell" wire to bring its insulation up to spec but does it have to have its own MCB (6amp MCB seems a bit over the top!)or can short tails be joined to another MCB -ring main (as it is in essence just a spur) or lights?

Sponsored Links
Wire it to one of the lighting circuit MCBs so you will be aware of loss of power to the door bell.

But based on recent experience fitting a transformer and associated 12 volt wiring inside a consumer unit is best avoided if there is space on the wall for the transformer. Even fitting a DIN rail transformer in a one or two module DIN rail housing is better than it inside the CU.

thanks -if i wire it outside the CU (the ones i was looking at were DIN or wall mount) does it have to be fed via a fused spur or can I just run T&E outside the CU as I would have done if it was all in the CU -we're talking all of 6" here?

Sponsored Links
I would use a fused spur or clock outlet to provide a fuse for the transformer.

This enables the bell to be turned off for peace or maintainance.

Most transformers have a built in "safety device" but not all will be 100% effective in some fault conditions and if the faulty transformer has to rupture the 6 amp fuse of the lighting ciruit before the supply is removed that tranformer can get very hot ( 6 amps equates to over a kilowatt of power ). That is why I prefer them outside the CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back