Direct or Indirect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a Barlo Towel Rail and , in large letters, the installation instructions say that the product is not suitable for direct central heating systems.
What is a direct heating system as opposed to an indirect one? I know the difference in respect to HW tanks.
Is a direct system the same as a closed system as in one heated by a combination boiler?

My system is a conventional one with header tank in the loft etc.

Sponsored Links
Some are run on secondary circulation circuits. These need to be copper. Can only assume this is what they mean.

As far as i'm aware direct would mean that the water in the boiler is actually the hot water that comes out of a tap.

Indirect systems never mix the two.

The full warning says, 'THIS PRODUCT IS NOT SUITABLE FOR USE ON DIRECT CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEMS BECAUSE A CORROSION INHIBITOR CANNOT BE ADDED'.

Does this clarify matters? At least I know I can add a corrosion inhibitor via my header tank, so, presumably, my system is an indirect one. I was thrown a bit because I had never heard of central heating systems being described this way before, but, then again, I'm not a pro in this field. To me my system is an open one and a combi system is a closed one. There are probably others.

The other oddity is that this warning only appears on a slip of paper instructions at the bottom of the box and is only available when you have purchased the product and got it home. The warning is not on any product description and the vendor doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about.

As I say, the Rail is a Barlo Quin Topaz Chrome type and also comes with a further scary warning in capital letters saying that, afer fitting, the system must be flushed through with a cleanser and then a CH protector added to prevent pin hole leaks. I appreciate this is prudent maintenance, but this advice is in red capitals, like it's a bomb warning!!!

Thanks for the help fellas.

Sponsored Links
Your vendor is a plank then.

The manufacturer will assume the installer knows what they are doing. The warning is there because their legal department told them.

Not that I am saying that is correct mind you....

All part of life's rich tapestry I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back