dirty loft insulation-is it still effective?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a 1930's house which we have been renovating. I want to board out a section of the loft. The insulation is extremly dirty though it seems fairly evenly laid and a good depth.

I want to know if I should board over this existing insulation or should I replace it? Does the dirt effect its capacity to insulate?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
No it doesn't (probably). Even if it did, that's a job you don't wanna do. Took all mine out, into large refuse sacks, tied up, dropped down into bathroom, thrown out of bathroom window onto patio, half the bags split, several trips to the dump in the car wth the seats down and a tarp. Not a quick Saturday morning job unless you want a house full of dust n dirt.

Be sure to read all the 'loft boarding' threads in this section. Counter battens, insulation under boards, don't block the eaves etc etc.

In any case after you've boarded out, insulate the rest of the loft to min. 270mm depth.

Hi every body. I solved this problem by spray foaming the back of my tiles. removed the felt and sealed the whole loft, I also benifit from no draughts and a warmer loft

Sponsored Links
I wonder how many cans of expanding foam he bought to do the whole roof? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Freddie Mercury has a cheek calling anyone an idiot with a name like that and a is trying to be a cyber bully, along with his French ami.

I obviously employied a company to carry out the works, some spray foams (for those not in the know) come out of a michine, along a very long tube, to a gun and is sprayed under presure on to the roof tiles.

Alright georgemac9, let's examine the lack of sense and value in your post, both from the point of view of the OP and technically ( as far as I can )

1) Your reply does not answer any of the OP's questions ( Not good)

2) Insulating both ceiling and rafters is just plain stupid : a total waste of money and time because the heat that gets through the initial insulation is quite small and by the time this is diffused in the cold loft, the amount of heat then saved by the rafter insulation is negligible.

3) Strangely, the company whose name you like to quote ( any connection with you by the way ?) on the whole web-site does not mention either the thickness of the foam layer, nor the R value of this layer . Would have thought this quite important for a company promoting insulation, wouldn't you ? Maybe they were unable to translate American R-values as the site seems to be a copy from a US source.

4) General opinion seems to be that foaming tiles/rafters seems to be a guaranteed way to trash a roof. No way of tracing problems such as leaks which remain hidden and allow major damage to structure.

If any work required, hugely difficult because of foam barrier

5) Doesn't this method contravene Building Regs which require a 50 mm (?) gap behind tile for ventilation ?

I think you have a cheek posting rubbish, especially as I feel you are connected to the company you mention.

Having googled for a reputable foaming company in the uk came across this thread and it seems as though mointainwalker is misinformed and not quite up to date with current building trends.
1. as the initial post on the thread addresses dirt and insulation in the loft, foaming is an extremely good solution, therefore does answers two questions.
2. Insulating rafters offers more solutions than you want to understand, it seems to me your dismissing the idea for whatever hidden agenda you have. Apart from stopping dirt it offers a thermal barrier which can seal the loft and make the boarded out area usable, clean and warm, thus helping reduce heating bills, stopping condensation and mould. This will also lock the tiles to prevent any movement and slipping.
3. the fact you think this method contravenes building regs tells me you have no understanding of spray foam. Ask yourself why a loft needs ventilation and if a thermal barrier is being created, why it would still need ventilation? For the benefit of mountain, if warm air isn’t meeting a cold surface, no condensation or moisture can build up and therefore airflow is not needed creating a envelope that instead of having the heat sucked out and dirt blown in stops air flow meaning less heat is lost through the roof.

Ive no idea of the company your going on about, but its pretty easy to get r values (R-values commonly around 6.0 per inch) and I haven’t come across a company who talks about thicknesses as foam can be used for different purposes including sealing, creating a thermal barrier and insulating.

I like forums that can talk about ideas and put things on the table that might be different, so when your thinking of insulting the next person who might have different ways of doing things, take a look and you might find that it’s a good idea. Research your answers without insulting, after all, isn’t this site about finding the best solution to home improvement problems.

out area usable, clean and warm, thus helping reduce heating bills, stopping condensation and mould. This will also lock the tiles to prevent . as the initial post on the thread addresses dirt and insulation in the loft, foaming is an extremely good solution, therefore does answers two questions.
2. Insulating rafters offers more solutions than you want to understand, it seems to me your dismissing the idea for whatever hidden agenda you have. Apart from stopping dirt it offers a thermal barrier which can seal the loft and make the boarded

The next wally - also co-incidentally from Essex ( only joined yesterday by the way ) now has something to say !

Would any one else care to add their comments ?

P.S. You are obviously the using US translated dickhead. I assumed you were, as the the R value of 6 per inch is ridiculous in Europe.

The best in Europe is R 1 per 25 mm for PIR .

PPS Building Regs give distances for ventilation needs. Your spivvy little outfit seems to want to ignore these

i think my points proven, you really haven't anything useful to add other than insults.
get your facts and try to comment without slagging and bitching, apparently you seem to have a problem with people from essex as well as foam, im surprised your using a computer, with small minded people like yourself a typewriter would be more appropriate.
no doubt your some anorak wearing geek who thinks hes the building guru of Europe, get a grip, get some knowledge and maybe then you can have a discussion without acting like a tit

i think my points proven, you really haven't anything useful to add other than insults.
get your facts and try to comment without slagging and ****, apparently you seem to have a problem with people from essex as well as foam, im surprised your using a computer, with small minded people like yourself a typewriter would be more appropriate.
no doubt your some anorak wearing geek who thinks hes the building guru of Europe, get a grip, get some knowledge and maybe then you can have a discussion without acting like a tit

Well said sir. had a similar argument over some under floor heating.
He really believes he is the b......s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back