Disappointing Shower Performance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased the following Screwfix items
a) Pegler Mimo Shower Valve (Screwfix part number 21019)
b) Chrome Sun Ray Shower kit (Screwfix part number 52780)

I have installed the components adapting an existing shower pump and the results are disappointing

Below I describe the installation and some observations I have made; if anyone has any suggestions, I would be very pleased to hear

Thanks for reading this

Existing installation:
The existing setup consists of a New Team shower and pump sited in the airing cupboard close to the hot water cylinder
The pump is fed directly from the hot water cylinder and the cold tank in the loft
Hot and cold water is mixed at the shower in an adjacent bedroom
This installation has worked reliably for a number of years

New installation:
The hot and cold outputs of the existing pump have been adapted with 'T' joints to supply the Pegler Mimo shower valve in addition to the existing New Team shower
The Pegler Mimo shower valve supplies the Sun Ray shower kit

The height of the Sun Ray overhead outlet is the same as the New Team shower
Only ONE shower is used at any one time

Observations
1) Existing New Team shower following adaptation
With the pump operating, a powerful shower is experienced, irrespective of control setting
Without the pump operating the shower is still acceptable

2) New installation - output direct from the Pegler Mimo shower valve
With the pump operating, the water flow is ok, but is more powerful when the temperature is turned towards zero
Without the pump operating, the flow is not as good, and again is more powerful when the temperature is turned towards zero

3) New installation - Sun Ray handset connected directly to the Pegler Mimo shower valve outlet
With the pump operating, the water flow is ok, but is more powerful when the temperature is turned towards zero
Without the pump operating, the flow is not as good, and again is more powerful when the temperature is turned towards zero

4) New installation - Sun Ray overhead outlet connected directly to the Pegler Mimo shower valve outlet

5) New installation - Sun Ray handset connected through Sun Ray diverter valve
With the pump operating, the water flow is barely acceptable, but is more powerful when the temperature is turned towards zero

6) New installation - Sun Ray overhead outlet connected through Sun Ray diverter valve
With the pump operating, the water flow is poor, but is slightly more powerful when the temperature is turned towards zero
Without the pump operating, there is no discernable flow; it increases marginally when the temperature is turned towards zero

It seems to me that:
a) the existing pump is powerful enough to supply the existing New Team shower
b) the Pegler Mimo shower valve flow varies with the temperature setting - is this normal, or is this a faulty valve, or is this because of the different locations of the hot (in airing cupboard) and cold (in loft) supplies ?
c) the Sun Ray diverter valve has the effect of restricting the flow - is this normal or is this a faulty diverter ?

I'm looking for some help and suggestions to get the new shower components operating as good as the existing New Team shower
Any suggestions gratefully received

Sponsored Links
The shower head could be restrictive, but that would have absolutely no effect when filling the tub. As an aside, I try NEVER to use American Standard valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back