Troublesome shower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just fitted a thermostatic shower tower in my en-suite. I already have a shower in my main bathroom which is run through a gravity fed pump (both hot & cold). To connect the new shower, i just isolated existing hot & cold feed at pump and tee'd into the speedfit pipe. The problem i have is that sometimes the new shower will not work! It can be turned on but the pump doesn't operate. This morning, it wouldn't work and the flow control was left in the on position. The main bathroom shower was used and when switched off, the pump continued to operate. On inspection, i found the new shower had decided to switch on! What could be causing this erratic operation, airlock??

Thanks,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
could be an airlock, head height, not enough gravity flow to kick pump in.

do a diagram of the pump/pipe runs.

Is the outlet of the new shower higher than the one in your main bathroom? I doubt it's an airlock, as you say the ensuite shower works just fine if you run the one in the bathroom first. £10 says lack of height between shower outlet and CWS tank, i.e. not enough head and thus lack of gravity flow to operate the flow switches in the pump.

You'll probably need to replace with a negative head pump, although a diagram with relative heights of the shower, cylinder and CW storage tank will confirm.

Sponsored Links
Hi everybody.
Thanks for all advice. Am going to invest in a negative head pump.
Hope that sorts it!

Gary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back