dishcharge from feed and expanxion vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. please advise me. i have drained the water from the heating side to change some radiators. i noticed water was black so i filled it back up and the water became clearer so i repeated 4 or 5 times. but now when i turn on heating water discharges from the vent in feed and expansion tank. can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though you have a blockage somewhere that is causing the pressure to build up and vent through vent.

If the water was black then this seems very probable. System could really do with a powerflush and cleanse by the sound of it ;)

Hi. thanks for reply but is there any other way than powerflush? the discharge did not occur for first 4 times, only on last time. i also changed some lockshields for thermostats on last flush through. could they be a problem?thanks a million.

You could run a strong cleanser in system (such as Sentinel X800) for an hour or 2, then drain and flush each rad with clean water, will do a fairly good job. Don't forget to clean out f&e tank as well.

Can't see changing to trv's causing your problems.

Since the last fill up can you still get water out of rads upstairs?

Sponsored Links
thanks. i have come home for the evening, so im not sure about upstairs rads til tomorrow, but what bearing does this have? i think one of the upstairs rads was not getting warm from one side. thanks.

I am just wondering if on your last fill up something got into pipe work and blocked the cold fill. if this was blocked then after initial little run of water from bleed valve on upstairs rad you would not get any water out.

I'm clutching at straws in this case really, but worth a check ;)

Choosing the name Macplumbing implies to the reader that you are a plumber doing this for your customers.

If that was the case then I am less inclined to advise a plumber who is clearly not sufficiently experienced to solve simple problems like that.

If you are really a DIYer as I now suspect then the advice given above would be an easy start.

However a power flush would be the professional solution. That needs skill and the right choice of chemical and not just hiring a pump. Few professionals seem to understand how to do power flushing properly.

Tony

hi tony. thanks for reply. i have been plumbing domestically for about 3 years. i am qualified to NVQ level 2, but as i am sure you know not everything is covered in coursework and most of what you do learn is learnt on the job so to speak. i have never come across this problem before and the only way to learn how to overcome problems by first encountering them. i am sure at some point you were not sure about everything, or maybe im wrong. anyway thanks for advise and ill get off my high horse now.
mark.

Thats fine now that you have explained your situation and I will be pleased to help.

Its certainly sounds as if a blockage has occured and thats not very surprising if the system is sludged up.

If you dont want to power flush then that creates a difficulty as it will get seriously worse by the hour as long as its pumping over!

You could use a citric acid based product like DS40 but that runs the risk of causing leaks from rads and valves.

A non acid product like X800 is probably the safest bet but as it works the situation will be getting worse from the pumping over!

Its NOT safe or recommended but a cork pushed not too hard into the vent has been used before during treatment !!! If you must use this then warm up the system first to about 60°C and then turn off boiler and add chemical and circulate for a few hours.

Its essential to get rid of as much sludge by draining and cold water flushing BEFORE adding the X800.

Tony

What boiler do you have? If it is an aluminium heat exchnger do not leave X800 in for more than 3 hours :eek:

thanks for your help lads, heres another one for you. cold water tank is being back filled from feed to cylinder and tank keeps overflowing. it makes sense to me that hot and cold are crossing somewhere. house has three mixer taps and washing machine. my next step is to install check valves on hot pipework to these four items. could it be anything else?shower only has cold feed.
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back