DISHWASHER fails to wash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

AEG Lavamat F65011V1 DISHWASHER fails to wash. Any advice before I junk the machine ?

I have had the above AEG dishwasher for nearly 6 years and, apart from the lower basket wheels falling off on a regular basis, all has been fine until about 6 weeks ago, when it just stopped washing for no apparent reason.

I called an engineer out to fix/diagnose the problem and he said that the main [circulating] pump had failed and it would cost £200 to replace it.

This did not seem to be cost effective for a machine of this age and use so I sourced a new pump and capacitor online and replaced both myself [genuine parts]

Once this had been done, water, waste and power was restored and the machine was tested. Much to my surprise, there was no change in the machine.

I then tested the ‘old’ pump for continuity on the windings, and tested the ‘old’ capacitor with an analogue meter [not conclusive I know, but indicative] and both were found to be perfectly serviceable.

The exact cause of the circulating pump failing to run is still a mystery to me.

I have reset the dishwasher several times and it has spent several weeks disconnected from the power supply as well. The dishwasher:

1 Switches on and all relevant lights illuminate, as normal.

2 Program function switches respond as normal

3 The washer fills with water, as normal

4 Then, regardless of the program selected, the dishwasher remains silent [apart from hearing the detergent draw flipping open] as the circulating pump does not run, this is NOT normal

5 When the evacuation pump is called into action, it functions as normal. Dependant on the program selected, the machine might fill and empty again but at no time does the circulating pump run.

6. During the cycle [what ever program is selected], the countdown timer falls as expected.

In short, everything happens as would normally be expected [timer, fill, empty, heat, dry, lights, buttons, detergent] EXCEPT the arms do not move as the circulating pump does not run.

I contacted AEG regarding the problem. Basically, they said that as I am not able to diagnose the problem myself, I should call another engineer, other wise they could not help !!

Most disappointed with AEG when I consider the SUPERB customer service I have just had from Bosch for a 10 year old oven.

MHFLS

Sponsored Links
The pump is switched on and off by the control unit. The "switch" may be a mechanical relay or a solid state device. Most probably this switch has failed open circuit so therefor no power can get to the pump motor.

Hi Bernard, thanks for that.

I've spent an age trawling the net [and the AEG site] and can't find any mention of a switch that may control the operation of the circulating/washer pump, so I can only assume it is the main control board that has decided to pack it's bags and leave. There are pressure/level/temp etc switches but none of those would control the wash pump. I'm now fairly sure that the only remaining item it could be, would be what AEG call the main switch [looks like just an on/off switch to me {but with more contacts}] but at £30, if I'm wrong [again] I've nearly paid for a new [cheap] machine AND still I need to wash by hand.

I'm off for a cuppa and I'll have a think, but I guess it's going for scrap now.

The "switch" controlling the pump will almost certainly be a component on the PCB, it might be possible to repalce it if one could work out which component it was.

Sponsored Links
Hi Bernard,

I had hoped there might be a more distinct switch than a component on the pcb, so it very much appears that as far as I'm concerned, this dishwasher is an ex dishwasher. As I'm just about to go on holiday, I might feel more inclined to revisit the almost useless bit of junk upon my return, but right now, sledge hammer and a bottle of red seem to be the tools required.

The pcb [I've not even noticed where it physically is yet] doesn't appear on the AEG parts list [hate to think of the cost] so if I return relaxed, and up for the job when I return, I'll shift the m/c to the barn bench and rip the b****r down, consult the multimeter, and see what I can find.

I know that feeling. If you do decide to try and revive it let me have a photo of the PCB and then it might be possible to identify possible suspects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back