Dishwasher rust streaks around the area of the salt refill cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says - is there a recommended way to clean this off (I'm wary of scrubbing it with a scourer in case that causes more problems) or is it a case of leaving it and getting a new dishwasher once the rust eats through the stainless steel in the dishwasher?

I'm assuming that the rust is relatively harmless otherwise.

I am though curious why it's there, it implies that the cap of the salt refill hole isn't sealing correctly.

Sponsored Links
Or the excess salt hasn't been rinsed away when filling. May be worth trying to give it a good scrub to clean off as much as you can and then wipe over, perhaps with some cooking oil?

Hi, my Bosch dishwater states that after replenishing the salt container, a full wash cycle programme must be completed immediately, to prevent this type of 'damage'.

Or the excess salt hasn't been rinsed away when filling. May be worth trying to give it a good scrub to clean off as much as you can and then wipe over, perhaps with some cooking oil?

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Sponsored Links
Hi, my Bosch dishwater states that after replenishing the salt container, a full wash cycle programme must be completed immediately, to prevent this type of 'damage'.

My Bush manual doesn't, but lesson learned.

But I'm sure a little rust in the wash will add to the cleanliness of the plates and cutlery. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back