Distemper, external, on walls render - how to redecorate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thank you for looking.

There is to be an external redecoration of a victorian house.

The external walls are rendered and painted. Some of the paint has flaked away over the years revealing a white dusty powder underneath on the render. Guessing the dusty powder is distemper.

Most of the existing paint will come off leaving the remains of the distemper.

Any ideas about the appropriate way to redecorate welcome. Stabiliser? Breathable paint?

Thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links
I don't think distemper was used externally. Its just where the paint has chalked. Stabilising solution should do it after removing as much of the paint as you can.

Thank you for your reply.

The property is 1860s. May I ask if there would be a particular type of stabiliser suitable, allowing walls to breathe for example.

I would clean off the walls with jet system,allow to dry, make good and apply Dulux Trade Weathershield Stabiliser, along with their Masonry paint.

But thats just my choice,

The "Eco Green, save the planet" paints are a bit of a gimmick IMO.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply. The weathershield stabiliser seems ideal.

Some of the flaking paint has come away leaving areas on the wall with a shallow profile. Any view on the appropriate filler, or just stabiliser and undercoat repeatedly to same level?

Thanks for reading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back