Diverter Valve Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Drayton motorised 3 port valve which is playing up.
I can get HW & CH but not together. The valve appears not to settle in the mid position.
In fact, if I have the CH on and want HW I have to take the CH to an off position on the programmer and then cycle the HW program through the various programmer positions to an on position to get the valve itself to move to the HW on position. Same situation arises to get to CH from a HW on position.

Hope this makes sense. Seams bizarre to me as the valve is clearly working once I can get it to respond to the programmer. I just need it to heat HW & CH together and move from CH to HW or vice versa when called for automatically.

Sponsored Links
I’d say it’s either wired incorrectly, or it’s a diverter valve (w plan). Or did it actually work beforehand? Any photo’s of said valve?

Hi Chris. Photo attached. Yes, it has worked perfectly well for a number of years and no one has messed with the wiring.
ebaeebcd-a959-4917-9865-96c7e9ee03bd

Attachments

• IMG_20210208_115540361.jpg
    IMG_20210208_115540361.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 80
That looks like it’s been replaced at some point, and it appears to be installed the wrong way round. If it’s worked fine for years as is, then there’s probably an issue with the valve or programmer. This needs to be tested electrically.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Yes, I did wonder why it had been installed upside down. I had a new boiler installed some 7 years ago and I guess it was done at that time. Presumably the CH engineer had a reason. I'll have to call someone out.

That looks like it’s been replaced at some point, and it appears to be installed the wrong way round. If it’s worked fine for years as is, then there’s probably an issue with the valve or programmer. This needs to be tested electrically.
Does port B lead to the hot water cylinder? I can't see how @Chris_W has deduced that it's the wrong way around from your photo...but he's right in saying it has probably been wired in wrongly.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi guys. Yes, the port B leads circuitously to the cylinder. Photo attached as requested. This boiler was installed 2016. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Diverter.jpg
    Diverter.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 61

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back