DIY Carpeting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After decorating several rooms its time to think about carpeting, while I dont want to attelpt to carpet myself I would like to fit the underlay myself but need some advice.

Im having all the upstairs carpeted, when laying the underlay do I leave a strip of bare floorboards at door openings for carpet metals? or fit the underlay so its continuous through doorways etc. (not sure if I have explained this very well)

Also, attaching the grippers on the stairs can someone advise where to attach them and how to fit the underlay on them.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gripper on the stairs should be cut so there about 5mm gap at the sides if secondary backed carpet and net if woven carpet. The gap between the two grippers on the step and riser should be 3/4 the thickness of the carpet when bent double. Approx 10mm gap from riser on the gripper fixing to the tread and vice versa for the other one. The pins on the gripper on the tread should face the riser and the pins on the gripper on the riser should face the tread.
Underlay should be cut short by 5mm on the sides for secondary backed carpet and net for woven. It should be stapled on the tread and stretched down the riser and stapled and then cut net to the grippers.
Gripper on a flat area ( not used on side of stairs )should have the pins pointing towards the skirting with a gap 3/4 the thickness of the carpet when compressed. Approx the thickness of the gripper if you want to use this as a guide for adverage carpet.
Underlay should be stapled and then stretched out with your hands then stapled at opposite end. Next cut in net to gripper. You should also tape joints with duct tape.
As for door ways run the underlay through and let the fitter sort out when fitting plates.
* make sure you use wood gripper for wooden subfloor and not concrete gripper*

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back