DIY Indirect Rectangular "Cylinder"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I've been lurking here for the last week reading anything & everything and have found some of the info really useful.

Now onto my hair brained idea:

I saw a hot press / airing cupboard recently with a 450 x 900 indirect cylinder in it, but the cupboard had plenty of unused room around the back of the cylinder. I figured a rectangular tank, on its end, tucked over against a side wall would be a far better use of space. Such rectangular indirect tanks seem to be few and far between, so I've been looking at making one from a steel fuel tank, something like this one in the link:
https://www.shop4tanks.co.uk/standard-stainless-steel-water-tanks/150-litre-tank.html

I haven't seen any of the indirect coils for sale on their own, which made me think of just bending my own one and using a pair of bulkhead coupling fittings. I'd need a few surrey flanges too for the immersion & top pipe. If i was going as far as making the indirect coil myself, I'd probably include a thin copper 'wall' to be wound along the heating coil, which would increase the effective surface area a lot and help reduce the heatup time...I haven't run any numbers yet but it'd be interesting to see would it make much difference...even just in theory!

I know it's a buttload of work...but I enjoy these projects! Are rectangular vented cylinders available now, or is there a reason they're not? Any thought / comments / suggestions on the proposal?

Sponsored Links
Elson used to make rectangular combi hot and cold water tanks before, now discontinued.

Daniel.

Are rectangular vented cylinders available now

Yes they are. I looked at installing a compact rectangular stainless steel tank in my cottage. Indirect with a second coil to heat the water to the shower.

The price of a bespoke was reasonable but I cannot recall the name of the company Something like McClelland

In the end I went for a bespoke copper cylinder from www.newarkcoppercylinder.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back