Indirect or Direct Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need a direct cylinder . However, I found the indirect cylinders are cheaper. Would it make any difference if I just got an indirect one and didn't use the coil connections?

Sponsored Links
OP- If you could buy a gold lame suit cheaper than a grey or navy one, would you turn up to functions looking like Liberace? Get the right one for the job.

I don't see the point in paying over another £100 for a cylinder if a cheaper one will do the job. However, if you can tell me a factor of having a direct over an indirect I'm all ears as they say.

Sponsored Links
I don't see the point in paying over another £100 for a cylinder if a cheaper one will do the job. However, if you can tell me a factor of having a direct over an indirect I'm all ears as they say.

An indirect is fine.

You can use a longer immersion with no coil. Most places have direct cheaper, try a different supplier.

A 36" element in a 42" cylinder, for example, will foul on the modern coils before you can do it up. Try it for yourself. Even with a giant cylinder you'd need 2 immersions so a direct model would still be better.

Hi. I need a direct cylinder . However, I found the indirect cylinders are cheaper. Would it make any difference if I just got an indirect one and didn't use the coil connections?

Actually not a bad idea to do anyway. I once replaced a leaking direct cylinder with an indirect one so in the future it would be easy to heat via a boiler. The house did not have Central heating at the time. Of course I had to transfer the long immersion heating element into it and that as usual was no problem at all. If in doubt simply check the cylinder specification

Mod 14, suggesting a direct cyl used neither abusive or unhelpful. The analogy is meant as a joke. The last post you deleted had the OP abusive because I suggested he was not competent to diy gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back