Diynot 1st?? - A Cake recipe request!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yup 'fraid so..... :eek:

Possibly a question for a London/East End baker - but is anyone familar with what I remember from my childhood as 'Cheese Cake'. This'll be the flakey/puff pastry base, almond sponge(?), jam (possibly), soft-ish icing, and a SHREDDED COCONUT topping!

I have found only one site describing this correctly (as 'London' Cheese Cake) http://www.fictionalcities.co.uk/cakes.htm, but does not provide a recipe, though there is a picture.

Searches for London Cheese Cake provide recipes only for the biscuit based variety, hijacked among others by that very foxy domestic goddess :evil: Given the mass of internet food and recipe sites, I am a bit perplexed that I cannot find this one.

Anyone have any idea what I'm on about? There all a bit uncivilised in this part of Hampshire :LOL:

TIA,
C-B

Sponsored Links
I looked but to no avail, sorry.

There are "Baker's Forums" out there though. Try them.

I think it is called a Manchester Tart, not to be confused with the other sort :) they are one of my favourites but hard to come by in sheffield

Sponsored Links
but if thats true, why can i get a belgan bun or a swiss roll in the UK?

johno12345 said:
I think it is called a Manchester Tart, not to be confused with the other sort :) they are one of my favourites but hard to come by in sheffield

I thought of that - but was thrown by the soft icing part. Manchester Tart - great! I love that.

What part of Sheffield you in? I know Crookes, Broomhill, Crosspool, Ecclesfield, Chapeltown. I don't know much of the south side. It's a great place.

notb665 said:
What part of Sheffield you in? I know Crookes, Broomhill, .

The Broomhill Tavern, the Nottingham House, Fox and Duck, The York, the South Seas.... oh happy days! :)

I love those cheese-cakes. Used to get them every week when I went to see my Nan in Mile End. Took me 15 years of living up North before I finally accepted that you couldn't get them up here (think the furthest up I've seen them is Stevenage !!) and had to stock up whenever I go down to Essex.

I guess you could use the ready-roll puff pastry, jam, icing and coconut strands. The only thing you need to figure out is the almondy bit, but sure you can work it out with a bit of experimentation.

Yummers !!

What about chips and gravy? I really missed that when I lived dahn sarf. A woman in Hastings looked like I was from another planet when I asked for it once.

Near me is Corby, and the Scot influence has spread to us in the next county: there is a fish and chip shop here which does deep-fried Mars Bars. Mmm!

I know all those places in sheffield, probably couldnt get to any of them though! I work near Attercliffe in a steel works. I could start the great fish cake/rissole debate, but I wont :)

Oi, you lot! :LOL: Stop hijacking my post with scones and gravy rissoles ;) :D

What about my 'London' Cheese Cake recipe? :)

Careful_Bodger said:
Oi, you lot! :LOL: Stop hijacking my post with scones and gravy rissoles ;) :D

What about my 'London' Cheese Cake recipe? :)
are you allowed to call it that unless you actually make it in london? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back