DNA debate again, but with added CCTV...

I

imamartian

Ok.... hornets nest... get ready...

Often we have the DNA database debate... i.e. should it be maintained in order to help solve crime? unfortunately the answer is usually no.

However, the Millie Dowler case seems to have been mainly solved using 3rd party cctv. So this is video recording of everyday people going about their business without their permission (although it is legal i believe?).

So what's the view on this? are you happy that you are recorded driving up and down the A520 everyday by B&Q's cctv camera? Should the footage be deleted every day? or not collected?

Sponsored Links
Much of the footage is only requested/used if the bizzies think it might be useful.

The question should be whether cctv prevents crime or not...and given that the only justification given for it's existence is that it 'solves' crime (and only 3% at that - HO figures), means it doesn't. Therefore it's not a deterrent, so why should innocent people be subject to constant surveillance?

Sponsored Links
All the paranoids, please form an orderly queue. (makes it easier to film you).

In the space of 30 mins at work this morning 3 tealeafs were caught via the cctv.
Case for having it proven i'd say.

As i stated, we have more cams, per pro-rata populas.
Now is the time to use the gathered images to our advantage!!!

The question should be whether cctv prevents crime or not...and given that the only justification given for it's existence is that it 'solves' crime (and only 3% at that - HO figures), means it doesn't. Therefore it's not a deterrent, so why should innocent people be subject to constant surveillance?
CCTV will always be a reactive technique. Even if they are manned cctv systems, an operator can only react to what he /she sees on the screen in front of them. Therefore, they can't prevent crime. Rather they can deter crime.
Without getting into a prolonged argument again, law abiding people have nothing to fear from cctv or dna databases. The only people who fear them are criminals and conspiracy theorists. ;) ;) ;)

Rather they can deter crime.
Unfortunately whilst some people think they can, in actaulity they don't - HO figures!
Without getting into a prolonged argument again, law abiding people have nothing to fear from cctv or dna databases. The only people who fear them are criminals and conspiracy theorists
The only reason those who make such frivolous claims don't want to get into a 'prolonged argument' is that such a claim is without basis and cannot be substantiated ... ;)

Rather they can deter crime.
Unfortunately whilst some people think they can, in actaulity they don't - HO figures!
Without getting into a prolonged argument again, law abiding people have nothing to fear from cctv or dna databases. The only people who fear them are criminals and conspiracy theorists
The only reason those who make such frivolous claims don't want to get into a 'prolonged argument' is that such a claim is without basis and cannot be substantiated ... ;)
Really??
My comments on the subject are based on fact and first hand evidence, as those of another poster to this thread.

Can you prove the stories you were reading?

Thought not.

My comments on the subject are based on fact
Care to provide the proof?

Thought not... ;)

Is this going to be a spacker thread?

CCTV does prevent crime.
As with other methods idiots and more professionals try to defeat the systems.

The stats are there, as in another thread. All you have to do is look.

I bet the next thread will be "How locks and locking systems are not worth the money invested!".

Who`s next for the "lets have a go at security" thread?

Sponsored Links
Back