Do B&Q cut contiboard?

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a kitchen wall cabinet that matches the others in the kitchen so wanted to use 15mm contiboard.

Will B&Q cut this for me if I buy in store or do they only do board cutting for non finished sheet materials?

Sponsored Links
Some branches certainly used to. If in doubt, turn up with a sharp hand saw, a couple of pieces of 3 x 2 or CLS and a pair of folding trestles and do your cutting on the car park. I've done that before to get bigger lengths in my small van

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
I don't think they're supposed to, but the last time I was in B&Q they were willing to cut loft flooring to size for me.

Contiboard is laminated and they might worry about the laminate harming the cutting blade.

They only claim an accuracy of +- 3 mm on cuts anyway, so you can't rely on it exactly.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
The answer is that they do cut it although it still chips the edges.

Sponsored Links
I want to make a kitchen wall cabinet that matches the others in the kitchen so wanted to use 15mm contiboard.

Will B&Q cut this for me if I buy in store or do they only do board cutting for non finished sheet materials?
Much easier just to buy one, likely to be cheaper as well.

Agreed but the space is an odd size and not square.

Cupboard will still need to be square.

I have to say that I agree with Foxhole. In all probability your cupboard will need to be rectangular, but any worktops, etc would need to be scribed to the walls. I've generally found it easier to cut-down standard cabinets to fit into awkward spaces. The carcass can be assembled using black carcass screws on the trimmed side and you can generally arrange things so that the trimmed side (where the screw heads are visible) is sandwiched against the side of the next unit along. A bigger problem is cutting down the doors IMHO - because that's only possible with a very limited range of designs.

Let's face it, B&Q are never going to give you an accurate cut - if I ever need to use them I aim to get my timber cut 5 to 10mm oversize (so stuff will go in the car or the van - I don't have a big van, so) and I then trim to the required size myself using a fine tooth blade on a circular saw (this can be done using a fresh fine tooth hardpoint saw as well - it's just somewhat slower) and do any cleaning up with a sharp block plane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back