cutting contiboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello. can you advise me as to which is the best tool to use for cutting contiboard. i am not very good with a jigsaw as i tend to wobble :( i was going to buy an exact saw, but they only cut 12mm deep and the board is 15mm. as i am female, im a bit apprehensive about using a circular saw.
thankyou :)

Sponsored Links
Contiboard is a wood veneer and if the blade/saw you're using is not sharp it will cause tiny splints. It is always best to practice on a piece that you can discard.
One way is to cut the veneer along the cut line with a Stanley knife first and then cut as close to the line as possible. Then smooth off the chip board with sand paper on a block of wood. If you were to use a fine toothed saw you will need to keep square to the surface otherwise it will either cut into the veneer or cut off the line below , hence the need then for a bit of planing.
Another way which I prefer now is to use a jigsaw with a new blade that does not have offset teeth. Screw Fix do them of various types T301CDF is one. They cut to a line amazingly well and even on laminated plastic board don't chip. Also, for some reason some cheap jigsaws don't cut as well as the dearer ones. I think they run smoother.
You ought to practice more with good blades and check the saw is set up square because otherwise Level 1 DIYnot Skills Diploma will not be attainable. :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back