Cutting Contiboard with a jigsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When cutting contiboard with a Jigsaw and using a clamped down peice of wood as a guide, I still get the blade trying to go towards the guide and not keep in a straight line, I have bought a Brand New Jigsaw as well, what am I doing wrong ??

Appreciate any comments - Thanks - Fred -

Sponsored Links
You don't say what kind of blade you are using but try use one that is specifically for Chipboard.It should make a difference.

When using a jigsaw to cut thicker material, the blade will wonder due to friction.
Try to keep the material thickness to a minimum.
When using thicker material use a circular saw with a clamped guide.
Bosch make a thicker sturdier blade called a progressor which gives better results.

Thank you for your replies, both VERY much appreciated.. The blade I used was the one that came with it, quite a coarse one, and chipboard was 1/2" thick, new jigsaw is a Performance one which is substantially stronger and more rigid than my old B & D one which was very flimsy and would'nt cut upright very well either.. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Jigsaws dont really give a striaght cut, as another poster says they do wonder slightly, if you can borrow a circular saw and make sure you turn the board over so you cut into the board as this will stop the finished side from chipping.

If you must use a jigsaw use a very fast cutting speed and a long open tooth blade to minimise friction.

I do have a circular saw but it is too fast and vicious so I use the jigsaw when I can. I can make straight cuts with the jigsaw by clamping a straight piece of material (another piece of conti, or a metal shelving upright) to the contiboard workpiece using two screw clamps. Then with light sideways pressure I keep the soleplate of the jigsaw against this guide as I go along - works a treat. BTW, two clamps are cheaper than a circular saw :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back