Do I extend or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,
Currently thinking of extending a flat roof single storey extension to the back and side of our home but thought I could do with some feedback from you guys
We already have a 1980s kitchen extension we inherited 11 years ago when I moved in but now we are thinking it would be nice to have a rejig of the layout and extend the living/kitchen space and add a downstairs toilet. My idea is to put a porch down the side of the house with a door opening opposite the stairs,adding a wc behind that with door opening into living room and taking out the patio door and extending where the decking is with a conservatory sized room so it is a separate lounging space to the living room. Putting a window in where the front door is and knocking the internal porch wall,I’ve added some pictures of floorplan and house from outside so you can get an idea
Only thing I’m not sure on is whether I would need to create another soil stack by the new wc and install s ridding eye where it would have to bend under the kitchen window
I’m a window fitter so will do all my own glazing,knocking down walls and doorways,plumbing,electrics,digging and roof timber work. All I plan to get in is someone to do the brickwork and roof felting,I’m hoping I can do it for £15k as I’m reclaiming blocks/sand/Celotex and whatever else I can from conservatory builds that the boss would just throw away
As the building work is beyond my original building lines to the side and facing a highway I would have to get planning permission
Complicated I know but can’t invite you all round to show you
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• E92AC489-D4DF-4623-B564-4D2F06CDAF88.jpeg
    E92AC489-D4DF-4623-B564-4D2F06CDAF88.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 2E34FD0C-3BEC-4FB0-A673-4788C8237BF5.jpeg
    2E34FD0C-3BEC-4FB0-A673-4788C8237BF5.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 255
  • DB4584DF-9DD4-4ACB-986A-D7B652610E59.jpeg
    DB4584DF-9DD4-4ACB-986A-D7B652610E59.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 271
  • A47371AA-A796-417D-802A-6FB325D76E3D.jpeg
    A47371AA-A796-417D-802A-6FB325D76E3D.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
'I’m a window fitter so will do all my own glazing,knocking down walls and doorways,plumbing,electrics,digging and roof timber work. '
A jack of all trades window fitter ! Can't you draw the plans as well ? Only joking.
As you need planning permission wouldn't you get an architectural designer to prepare plans for planning and bldg. regs approval and let them sort out the design and construction details ?

To be honest,if I knew my way around the drawing board I would give it a go,not long finished the driveway and don’t want to rest the brain.I am planning on using the same bloke to draw up the plans that we use to pass our conservatories(ex council planner).Just trying to figure out at this stage whether it’s a good idea to extend it and whether my budget is viable

Do you really want a toilet off you living room?
You're going to end up with a really dark space.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply tomfe,there isn’t much choice on toilet locations due to the awkward layout,other than sticking it under the stairs so it backs onto the current soil stack but that is still into the living space. I’ve attatched a better picture of my planned layout so the porch has a side window with a half glazed internal door for light and bathroom has its own side window,the Proposed living extension would either have French doors and side screens and window onto the side or just large French doors with window onto the side. I am also thinking of a flat glass skylight in the centre of the roof,the sun is around the front for half the day and the patio door only gets sun right at the end of the day
The main benefit of this layout is that we wouldn’t have to walk through the living room to get to the stairs or kitchen from the front door

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 235
Toilet off the living room ,no surely not! How about getting an architectural designer to come up with some sketch scheme layout?
'The main benefit of this layout is that we wouldn’t have to walk through the living room to get to the stairs or kitchen from the front door ' - but you would according to your sketch as far as I can see !
ps drawings are done on cad nowadays.
Regards

Thanks for the replies guys,will get onto a few builders and designers. See what they can come up with

You surprise me that a lot of plans are still hand drawn. Would have saved me a lot of trouble if I had been allowed to stick with a drawing board instead of having to learn Autocad around 2000 (and I thought I was behind the times then ) !
How do they manage in this electronic age ? People communicate by emailing cad drawings to one another nowadays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back