Do I Have A Heating Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 bed victorian flat with radiator requirements at 44,000 BTU's across 7 radiators. I have plumbed the radiators in 15mm 2 pipe formation (flow and return).

The pipework is all 15mm it does not step down to radiators, calculates to about 13kw of heating.

I am wondering if I will get good output or if i should have ran the main bore in 22mm with 15mm reducers to radiators.

I could rip out the 15mm and put in 22mm, ideally i would like to do some temperature tests when the system is commissioned in about 2 weeks to see if its doing duty.

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Harry

Sponsored Links
You do have a problem, you've got the order of finding out what to do and doing it, in the wrong order.

Its normal UK design processes to slap in something that is unlikely to work.

If it did you dont need to do anything as it will have been the easiest and cheapest.

If changes are needed you do the smallest and cheapest first. You carry on making small changes until it does work.

Its called an iterative* design process!

Tony

See Wikopedia here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterative_and_incremental_development

Note they refer to my methods!

Sponsored Links
Haha so no real clues on if it will work or not then, swapping out 15 for 22mm is no real hardship.

The boiler is not running yet for me to test it.

Thanks

It will probably work, but not optimally. Your boiler (which you failed to mention) will almost certainly spend most of its life short cycling.

Failed to mention the boiler for the flaming i might get.

I got given a free 24kw BIASI B&Q boiler - naturally it saves me money so im putting that in.

Can you explain short cycling? Would the 22mm over come that problem?

I have a 7m x 7m lounge which is 20,000 BTU on its own - half the BTU load. Could i run a seperate run out to these 2 radiators in 22mm?

Options?

Harry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back