Do i have Damp in my Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure if this was the correct section of the forum to post on but wanted some advice on this problem i think i have.

Around a year ago we moved into our flat. When we moved in one of the bedrooms had some black mould on the woodchip paper that was up near and around the window. So we removed this old paper & moud and let the wall dry for a good few weeks. We then painted some damp proof white paint all around this part of the wall and let to dry for a futher few weeks.

Once the damp proof paint was dry we re papered the area with chipwood paper so it matched the rest of the room for the time being until we had more cash to spend doing it up.

Now over the last 3 months we have started to notice this area of paper has started to bubble all over but all other walls and old paper is fine. Its just the 2 corners and wall thats on the outside of the building and near the window that has this problem. I can remember when we re papered this area that i dont think we PVA or Sized the wall first and just papered direct over the wall that has the damp proof paint on which i think this is what has caused this.

Another thing that does not help is we tend to dry our washing on the radiator that is located under the window which i know does cause damp am i right?. and we notice more bubbles in the paper when there is washing drying.

So tonight i decided to pull the paper down in the corner of the room to see if it was damp and mouldy again to find that i could not see any brown or black mould but the wall felt very cold and in some places a little damp which i am not sure if this was due to the washing being in the room at the time.

Can anyone give me some advice on what the best way to tacakle this and best way to solve this problem.

Was i doing wrong painting the damp proofing stuff on the wall

Here are some pics of the wall where the paper was.

http://flic.kr/p/8KMicH
http://flic.kr/p/8KQmCW
http://flic.kr/p/8KQnQN

Many Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Does the window to the room have a trickle vetilator or and means of ventilation? if so do you keep the vent open? Its a bad idea to dry clothes on the radiator. If there is no ventilation to outside then the room will be full of condensation. Anyway it'll help to keep the room ventilated and not dry clothes on the radiator.

To be honest because the area of damp on the wall is localised is is more likely to be water ingress through deffective pointing and or leaking down pipe or rising damp if it occurs at floor level and rises upwards.

Cheers.

stand well back and take a wide shot of the whole wall, showing where the damp patches are.

it looks like it is wet above the window, so the water might be coming from condensation or the roof (Or is there a bathroom above?)

how many other rooms have damp?

does the window get condensation on it?

what is that room used for?

does anyone drape wet washing about the house?

edited: Oops, sorry, I see you say
we tend to dry our washing on the radiator that is located under the window
This will be the cause. No point in wasting time looking at anything else. If you drape wet washing about the house, it will always be damp and no-one can help you.

Invest in a washing line, or a tumble drier, or, if your bathroom has an extractor fan, hang the washing up in there and leave the fan running 24 hrs a day.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back