Do I have the right fixings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have just bought a 37" Panasonic Plasma TV + the Panasonic Viera wall bracket to match to fix to the wall. It has 8 fixing points and I have to fit it prior to delivery tomorrow. Now needless to say it does not come with fixings. I have solid walls, so have bought x8 M6 65mm Sleeve anchors. Will this be sufficeient? I was after at least M8, but the do not pass through the holes provided so I am assuming M6 is good enough, any thoughts??
Steve

Sponsored Links
Providing you fit the anchors correctly, 8 x M6 x 65mm will be more than sufficient.

Thanks Richard, I have fitted them using the correct drill bit (8mm) and seem to have lined them all up correctly. The thing with these sleeve anchors is I am sure I can keep tightening the bolt as far as I want? Do I need to go just beyond finger tight or keep going? I am sure I can pull it right through if I tried.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Make sure the anchor is not just spinning in the hole as that defeats the purpose. The anchor is there to deform when you initially tighten the bolt and make a snug fit in the pre drilled hole. then you can nip it up to as much as you think it needs t be.

I've hung up heavy projectors before and the only way to fix them to the wall was to drill all the way through the wall to the other side. Attaching a metal bracket and long bolts right through. Thats not going anywhere. Of course you need to have access to the back of the wall.

I always find that with sleeve anchors, you tend to get a tighter fit if you pilot the hole with the next size down first, so in your case 7mm.

I've hung up heavy projectors before and the only way to fix them to the wall was to drill all the way through the wall to the other side. Attaching a metal bracket and long bolts right through. Thats not going anywhere. Of course you need to have access to the back of the wall.
Jeez that's really not necessary even for the much heavier plasma screens :eek: . Unless you swing on the top edge of the screen, practically all the load on the fixings is in sheer not tension. Providing the anchors are correctly fitted, the force required to pull them out will far exceed the weight of the screen anyway. I have only 6 fixings into plaster/blocks on a 42 inch plasma bracket that’s been sitting in the same spot for over 4 years!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back