Do I need a new/different light switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a triple switch to control: outside light, inside porch light, and hallway light.

The hallway light has 2 separate wall switches - it has the switch as above (which is just inside the front door); then there's another rocker switch at other end of the hallway.

At moment we can flick switch at front door to turn on hallway lights, and maybe hallway light doesn't come on - so you have to go to other end of hall and flick OTHER switch before the lights come on :D Hoping to replace switch at front door so that hallway light comes on no matter what other hallway light switch is doing.

Would I be able to do what I need on a single 3 gang switch at the front door - would a 3 gang 2 way switch do what I need?

Thanks for reading, and please excuse me if I've got terminology wrong (though hopefully this all makes sense...)

Sponsored Links
Yes you need 2 way switches.

If you post good pictures of the wiring at the rear of the switch (with power off) we maybe able to determine a wiring fault or faulty switch.

Have you lived there long?

We've been here nearly 10 years and it's been like that since day 1. It's one of the many niggles that I never got round to looking at :) It's only today - when I needed to replace a different light switch in the house - that I figured I should get my act together and address this one, too :)

Will get pics up later today - thanks for reply!

We've been here nearly 10 years and it's been like that since day 1. It's one of the many niggles that I never got round to looking at :) It's only today - when I needed to replace a different light switch in the house - that I figured I should get my act together and address this one, too :) Will get pics up later today - thanks for reply!
From what you say, at least the hall switch (and hence almost certainly all three) of the triple one must already be 2-way - and what you report suggests that either one of the connections (to one or other of the hall switches) has become disconnected or else one of the switches is faulty.

When you open up the switches to take photos (with the power OFF!), you might possibly find/see a disconnected wire.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.

Is it possible the switch is just the wrong type, and has always been like that?

But whatever - I'll post up a pic (after turning off downstairs lights circuit at fuse box) and show you guys. Likely this'll be tomorrow now due to reasons - but will post pic in due course and will let you know what I find in there...

Cheers!

Thanks both. Is it possible the switch is just the wrong type, and has always been like that?
Not impossible, I suppose, but it seems unlikley (although if it was "DIYed", I suppose anything is unlikely. If it did once work then, as I said, either one of the wires has become disconnected (which will probably be obvious to you when you take the photos) or else one of the switches has become faulty.
But whatever - I'll post up a pic (after turning off downstairs lights circuit at fuse box) and show you guys. Likely this'll be tomorrow now due to reasons - but will post pic in due course and will let you know what I find in there...
OK. We look forward to seeing the piccies.

Kind Regards, John

I just wanted to come back here to report some good news, and to say thanks again. Per original post, I needed to replace/fix another switch in the house. In fact the switch I looked at was the other end of the hall: hall light had been dodgy for a few days, and it quickly got to point where we couldn't turn the downstairs light on. I thought the switch had a dirty or worn connection in the rocker or something, so I was ready to replace the switch - but I found 2 loose wires in there (in fact one of the screws had completely fallen out!) We've not decorated the hall since moving in - so the switch has been like that for as long as we've been there.

Reconnecting those wires fixed the downstairs hall light. But on a hunch I tested the 3 gang switch near front door: and now it does what it should do :mrgreen: Fixing the loose wires in the other socket has fixed the problem with the 3-gang. Awesome!

Anyway - I wanted to say thank you for the advice I received here :)

... but I found 2 loose wires in there (in fact one of the screws had completely fallen out!) We've not decorated the hall since moving in - so the switch has been like that for as long as we've been there. ... Reconnecting those wires fixed the downstairs hall light. But on a hunch I tested the 3 gang switch near front door: and now it does what it should do :mrgreen: Fixing the loose wires in the other socket has fixed the problem with the 3-gang. Awesome! ... Anyway - I wanted to say thank you for the advice I received here :)
Glad it's sorted. Am I allowed to suggest that "I told you so"? :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back