Old wiring to new smart switch (2 Gang)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my hall way I have a 2 gang switch where one controls outside light and the other the hallway light. Hallway light can also be controlled by a separate switch in the hallway too.

I’m installing a smart switch where I’ve tried once and managed to have it connected and one light the Hallway worked well but the outside didn’t do anything.

I’ve attached a couple of pictures the thicker red wire next to the blue is a black wire with red sleeve.

Attachments

• 5B97E616-E885-4F19-A94C-3F4809C353A2.png
    5B97E616-E885-4F19-A94C-3F4809C353A2.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 606
  • 75B89656-BCA7-45FC-917E-E598F5FC2133.png
    75B89656-BCA7-45FC-917E-E598F5FC2133.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 633
Sponsored Links
Looking at picture you have a on/off to left and two way to right, I see no neutral wire on original, the new switch seems to require a neutral, and seems to have no option to use for two way switching.

To get two way switching normally the second switch also needs changing to a slave type switch. There are smart switches which allow a remote which looks like a switch so you get two way switching, there are also versions that work without a neutral.

However if there is no neutral often there is also a minimum bulb size, I know my Energenie will work with 10W but some other makes need 15W, also my Energenie comes as a single switch only so not suitable for you. (It also requires an expensive hub to work with phone.)

I do see the idea of Smart switches, you can set them up so they geofence or you simply switch on with phone, I fitted mine as a lazy way of setting up two way switching, saved me threading cables, but for hall I have a cheap Lidi rechargeable torch plugged into a socket above the door to under stairs, best thing we have every had lighting wise, although not originally bought to do this, with a power cut it lights so I can remove it and inspect the consumer unit, and at night it has a built in PIR which is enough to see by to walk along the hall, lighting our way in. It also help when coming down stairs at night, and up once main hall light switched off, socket originally placed to charge mobility scooter, and light originally for caravan, but it works so well got another for caravan.

What do you want? maybe an easy way to do it, without rewiring switch to include a neutral, mine was selected as also had sockets and TRV heads on same system.

Thank you for the reply, the single red wire that comes to the top right com I used as a nuetral on the new switch and it worked fine but I couldn’t figure why the outside light worked.

I think it maybe easier to change the outside light to a smart one instead.

The reason I wanted a smart switch was mainly to control the outside light and like you say it can have timers etc set.

Sponsored Links
the single red wire that comes to the top right com I used as a nuetral on the new switch
What do you think a light switch does? What is it doing inside when you turn it on?

What do you think would happen if one of the wires connected to it was a neutral?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back