Smart switch 2 gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a 2 gang 1 way switch in the hallway at the moment. The left switch controls the hall ceiling light (yellow wire) and the right hand side feeds through the front wall to a porch light.
I'd like to convert this switch to a 2 gang smart switch as there is a neutral wire (its very close to the fuse box so makes sense). I'm just not certain what to do with the 2 neutral wires which are currently connected together- would they both feed into the smart switch neutral point? Any help gratefully received :)

20190324_144025.jpg

Sponsored Links
Surely you have described left and right the wrong way round.
I suppose that depends upon whether one is looking at the front or back of the switch :) (the latter perhaps far from impossible if one is considering how things are connected to the switch's terminals).

Kind Regards, John

That might be true but surely left/right is when the switches are on the wall and operated.

Anyway - if he hadn't mentioned the yellow wire, what would you have thought, and

as he did mention the yellow wire, why the need for left and right?

Sponsored Links
That might be true but surely left/right is when the switches are on the wall and operated.
Anyway - if he hadn't mentioned the yellow wire, what would you have thought, and
as he did mention the yellow wire, why the need for left and right?
Lots of questions, and your guess is as good as mine as to what the answers might be!

I suppose my thinking was that since, for whatever reason, he described the hall light as both "left" and "yellow wire", the only way of rationalising that would be if he we 'looking' at the back of the switch .... although. and you said/implied, what got posted might have just been a mistake/typo!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for your help. So the yellow wire corresponds to L1 and both neutrals feed into neutral?

Thanks for your help. So the yellow wire corresponds to L1 and both neutrals feed into neutral?
Whether you put the yellow wire into L1 or L2 (in the appropriate switch) will determine 'which way up' the switch works - if you put it in L1 and don't like the way it works, just change it to L2. The same goes for the single red going to the other switch.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back