Smart lightswitch defective or am I being stupid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I just received a TCP 2 Gang Smart Lightswitch (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Light-Switch-Compatible-Google/dp/B081SWPXL3/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3OA3IJTBHT785&keywords=Smart+WiFi+Touch+Light+Switch,+2+Gang&qid=1672330345&sprefix=smart+wifi+touch+light+switch+2+gang,aps,67&sr=8-5) and found an hour to attempt the installation.

I've got the following setup for an existing one way, 2 gang lightswitch:
1672330501280.jpeg

I wired the new switch in, 3 neutrals were all in a wago box so I connected the neutral and live pair in, and the two wires that were connected to the L1 inputs of the old switch into L1 and L2 in the new switch. Diagram below.

1672330705531.png

The switch powers on, I even successfully connected to the WiFi and updated the firmware but the actual switching did not work. Neither set of lights came on when the switches were switched to on, I've put the old switch back in and everything works.

Have I been unlucky and got a duff switch or have I misunderstood the wiring here?

Thanks for any pointers!

Sponsored Links
Do you have a neutral wire in the switch back box. Normally, there wouldn't be one.

Ordinarily, you have perminant live running down, and switched live running back up. DO NOT assume that the colour of a cable in a switch indicates whether it is live or neutral.

Thanks @opps and @flameport.

I removed the neutral from the wago that was paired with the live and put it inside the new switch, and left the other two inside the wago (that is, assuming all 3 blue wires are netural, this is a newly wired (last 6 months) area, so safe assumption?)

Should I be placing all 3 neutrals into the new switch?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
@terryplumb - sorry, wasn't very clear. 3 cables coming into the switch, one I've identified is live which is the one that was into common and being bridged. I took the blue wire that was part of that cable and placed it into the new switch but left the remaining 2 in the wago, I assumed they were not needed.

Sounds like I was wrong and I should be placing all 3 neutrals into the new switch?

Yes they should ,if they will physically fit into the neutral terminal.

@terryplumb - sorry, wasn't very clear. 3 cables coming into the switch, one I've identified is live which is the one that was into common and being bridged. I took the blue wire that was part of that cable and placed it into the new switch but left the remaining 2 in the wago, I assumed they were not needed.
Why.

By the way ,your original switch had no earth connected to it. If you have any others like that ensure they are earthed.
Some of the wires didn't look captive either:
Screenshot_20221229-170920_Chrome.jpg

Probably a good thing that the switches are being changed! :)

See "me being stupid" in the title / my lack of understanding of basic electrics it seems!

All the neutrals into the new switch sorted it. Confirmed the issue was me, not the switch, really appreciate the help!

Some of the wires didn't look captive either:
That IS so..

You cannot just 'insert" a single thin wire into the "set screw" locations that you have and expect the screw to "clamp' onto the wire !

It would be better to (have enough stripped wire and) bend the wire unto a compressed "U" shape, so that the set screw can "bare down" onto the "U" of wire and not just have the wire making what may be a "loose" connection at the side of the set screw!

(Where there are two thin wires twisted together, that usually provides enough "area" for the screw to clamp the wire.
Even in that case, it would not "hurt" to bend the two wires twisted together into a compressed "U" shape !)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back