2 gang 1 way smart lightswitch installation. Advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to install a Tapo S220 smart lightswitch (2 gang, 1 way) but I am unsure if I can do it with my current lightswitch wiring.
The lights in question are wired through a Surewire pre-wired junction box, so each switch has its own live and switched live, to the corresponding light, whereas the Tapo switch, only has one live and 2 switched lives.
My question is, can I put both of the lives from my 2 switches into the one terminal in the smart switch, or will this trip the light circuit, or cause other issues?
Cheers.
(images attached)

Attachments

• 20231126_133847.jpg
    20231126_133847.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 47
  • switch wiring.png
    switch wiring.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20231128_082342_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20231128_082342_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 37
  • sw4l-MF2.jpg
    sw4l-MF2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
If the two line feeds are from same fuse in the consumer unit, just use one, and terminate the other safely in a choc block etc. But do need to check both fed from same fuse first, or you would cause something called a borrowed neutral which is not permitted.

Yes, they are from the same mcb, as it's all wired through a pre-wired junction box.
I'm assuming that all the lives in the junction box are technically the 'same' live, so would it matter if I combine 2 into 1?

OK.
consider the two gang switch to be two one gang switches - doesn`t matter if they are a distance apart and hosed in different boxes or they are both in the same backbox adaject to each other.

As Eric mentioned.
If they are both from the same circuit (the same fuseway or circuit breaker) on the consumer unit then you could use your L supply to feed the switches at the C, Com, Common terminal at the switches.
This could be two separate L feed conductors or linked in from one Com terminal to the other.
If that in itself would still leave a L feed (supply) conductor in the switchbox then park it up safely into a connector as Eric has mentioned.

If, on the other hand they are fed from two different circuit fuseways then you would need to feed each Com connection from its own supply conductor and make sure that corresponding Lout 1 or 2 that you are using is from the correct corresponding light fitting L connection and they would be effectively two seperate circuits (albeit both circuit switch conductors would be housed in the same backbox) otherwise you could, as Eric states, create the "Borrowed Neutral" would could become a safety problem to somebody working on the circuit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back