Installing 2 gang smart switch in place of 2 gang 2 way dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In our open plan living room and kitchen we have a 2 gang dimmer switch. 1 switch turns on the kitchen light and the other the living room light.
I'm trying to change this to a 2 gang 1 way Tapo smart switch (this one: https://www.tapo.com/cz/faq/226/).

I've unscrewed the existing dimmer switch and am slightly confused by the wiring.
There are 3 cables in the back box. The 2 cables coming in from the left of the back box each have 1 red, 1 black and 1 yellow-and-green ground wire.
The cable coming in from the top of the back box has 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue and 1 yellow-and-green ground wire. (See attached photos.)

IMG_20231113_134104_917.jpg
IMG_20231110_131456_631.jpg

All the black and blue cables (lets assume neutral but I know this needs testing to validate) are capped and not used.
The yellow wire is currently connected to the COM bit of the 1st dimmer module ( ) and it's corresponding red wire is connected to L2 on the 1st dimmer module.
1 of the red wires from another cable is connected to the COM bit of the 2nd dimmer module and the other red wire is connected to the L2 of the 2nd dimmer module. There's also a bridge between both L2s.

My questions:
- Am I right in assuming this is a 2 gang 2 way switch?
- How should I wire the new smart switch (which is 2 gang 1 way)? Should the yellow wire go into the Line in of the smart switch? Then should the red live wires of the other 2 cables go into the LineOut1 and LineOut2 of the smart switch?
- Will this need me to put 1 remaining wire into a wago?

Any help is appreciated. I won't be disconnecting the existing switch until I'm sure of the setup of the new switch.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back