1 Gang 2 Way Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a Chrome 1 Gang 2 Way Dimmer switch. At the back of the switch I have 3 slots \\\'L1\\\', \\\'L2\\\' and \\\'C\\\'. The wires that is coming through my wall is 4 Reds, 1 Yellow, 1 Blue and 1 Green/Yellow (Earth wire i think) Can you advise me which slot these wires go into.

Sponsored Links
same as the old ones did. please dont say you did not note which went where

frank, there is no "NORM" to connect 2-way lightswitches. You might learn something from the diagrams in the WIKI at the top of the forum, or the "for reference" at the top of electrics UK, but you do need to

a) miraculously remember how the old switch was connected, or
b) learn how to use a mutimeter and open up the other switch on the 2-way side or
c) call an electrician.

You need to ID the red which is in the same sheath as the Y & B.

Then you need to sort out the other 3 reds. Probability is there will be 2 lives and a switchwire.

Have you got one twin red cable and one single red?

In which case you'll need to ID the live (which red of the twin red is it?) The other red in the same cable will be the switch, and the remaining red wire may be another live looping out of switch to another (back to back?)

So try putting: Red of three core and earth cable into Common, yellow + switchwire of twin red into L1, and the two red lives and the blue into L2.

BUT ONLY DO THIS IF YOU CAN IDENTIFY THE CONDUCTORS AS I HAVE DESCRIBED. IF THEY ARE DIFFERENT, DO NOT ATTEMPT MY SUGGESTION!

THIS ALSO ASSUMES THAT THERE IS THE RED OF THE 3 CORE &E CABLE IN COMMON ON THE OTHER SWITCH, AND YELLOW IN L1 AND BLUE IN L2.

(THE L1 & L2 MAY BE REVERSED)

Yes, I know I'm shouting, but it is deliberate...

Sponsored Links
Hi SS. Not shouting at customers, are we? ;)
Its amazing, it seems, how many folk take wires off lights & switches without noting what went where. Sometimes its quite tricky to work out on site when you have years of knowledge and all the test gear. Even more tricky to do it blind, on a PC keyboard and after many glasses of Merlot! Have a good weekend.

No, sorry to disappoint you, TTC. :LOL:

I have had no alcohol for several months.
I was only shouting to warn the OP not to follow my advice unless my hunches were correct.

There was no rudeness or disrespect intended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back