Smart light switch

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Jupiter01, 22 Nov 2021.

1. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I recently installed a “smart” night light based on the advice I had on this forum. This is working very well and I’d like to adopt a similar approach for my external lights.

I have a couple of up lighters and a couple of canopy lights by my garage. They are all operated by a single switch which is in my hallway. This is a 4 gang switch which operates various other lights e.g. hallway, landing, etc. The wiring loop is in one of the external lights and the switch wire runs back to the switch in the hallway.

Is there a way I can keep the switch arrangement in my hallway as is but be able to operate these external lights on a schedule via my mobile? It would be good to have an away mode where the on/off times are randomised.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I intend to use a relay DSC_6060.jpg DSC_6061.jpg Landing-light-relay-instructions1.jpg Landing-light-relay-instructions2.jpg it means original switch becomes extra low voltage, and works like a two way switch with the relay.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Shelly1, https://shelly.cloud/products/shelly-1-smart-home-automation-relay/
    Existing switch will work as it does now, plus you can set whatever features from the phone app.
    Installed wherever you have got permanent line, neutral and switched line.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys. That's really promising.
    I assume neither of these can work with the switch wire alone as that's all I have at the switch? I thought this may be an easier option as I could get a deeper back box for the 4 gang switch and loose this device in the back.

The live in and out (loop as I call it...) is behind this light and as you can see, there isn't much space behind this uplighter. I recall that struggled to fit the loop in here.
    upload_2021-11-23_7-36-32.png

Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks again.

6. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The reason for relay is it mounts at the lamp rather than switch where there is a neutral. What the problem with relay is, is the physical room to fit it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sponsored Links
  8. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Does a Shelly 1L meet my requirements?

9. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Uplighters are environmental crap. You can't light the sky! Best to remove the 'up' bulb.

10. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    At the moment, the uplighter illuminates the front of the house and goes as far as the roof ridge. I don't think there's any risk of lightening the sky :)

Do you know if the Shelly 1L would meet my requirements please?

11. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I know nothing about the Shelly. But I'm sure youe light goes beyond the roof ridge. It is just you can't see it.

12. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a neighbour with two globes one on each gate post, some thing like this [​IMG] must be nearly 300 yards from my house, and only around 5 watt, but they light up my bedroom. This [​IMG]however would light their drive likely better, but not my bedroom.