Smart light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed a “smart” night light based on the advice I had on this forum. This is working very well and I’d like to adopt a similar approach for my external lights.

I have a couple of up lighters and a couple of canopy lights by my garage. They are all operated by a single switch which is in my hallway. This is a 4 gang switch which operates various other lights e.g. hallway, landing, etc. The wiring loop is in one of the external lights and the switch wire runs back to the switch in the hallway.

Is there a way I can keep the switch arrangement in my hallway as is but be able to operate these external lights on a schedule via my mobile? It would be good to have an away mode where the on/off times are randomised.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I intend to use a relay DSC_6060.jpg DSC_6061.jpg Landing-light-relay-instructions1.jpg Landing-light-relay-instructions2.jpg it means original switch becomes extra low voltage, and works like a two way switch with the relay.

Attachments

• DSC_6059.jpg
    DSC_6059.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 74
Thanks guys. That's really promising.
I assume neither of these can work with the switch wire alone as that's all I have at the switch? I thought this may be an easier option as I could get a deeper back box for the 4 gang switch and loose this device in the back.

The live in and out (loop as I call it...) is behind this light and as you can see, there isn't much space behind this uplighter. I recall that struggled to fit the loop in here.
upload_2021-11-23_7-36-32.png

Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Uplighters are environmental crap. You can't light the sky! Best to remove the 'up' bulb.

Uplighters are environmental crap. You can't light the sky! Best to remove the 'up' bulb.
At the moment, the uplighter illuminates the front of the house and goes as far as the roof ridge. I don't think there's any risk of lightening the sky :)

Do you know if the Shelly 1L would meet my requirements please?

I know nothing about the Shelly. But I'm sure youe light goes beyond the roof ridge. It is just you can't see it.

I have a neighbour with two globes one on each gate post, some thing like this
shopping
must be nearly 300 yards from my house, and only around 5 watt, but they light up my bedroom. This
shopping
however would light their drive likely better, but not my bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back