Wiring hallway light to double light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would really appreciate your help....

In taking down a partition wall in my flat I made the mistake of not recording how various wires, switches etc... were connected.

I want to change the kitchen light switch (which is currently a single switch) to a double switch and use this to control the hallway lights also (these are uplifter wall lights). The hallway lights used to work off a single light switch but no longer do. It appears that this hallway light switch has no power and that there is simply a section of T&E running from the switch to the hallway lights.

How can I connect the hallway lights to the new proposed double switch that will independently control both the kitchen and hallway lights?

The switch has two lots of COM, L1 and L2

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Wow

If you do not have
1. a multimeter or a two-probe voltage indicator
2. knowledge of how lighting circuits are wired

then there is zero chance of being able to answer your question.

If you can say yes to one and two, then there is a faint hope that you could do it.

But, seriously, you need someone who knows what they are doing, on site.

Sponsored Links
Are you adding the hall switch wiring to the box where the kitchen switch is?

Has the hall only got one switch?

Were there any other switches with the hall switch plate or just one for the hall?

Have you changed the hall light fitting for a new one?
It's odd that the hall switchwire no longer works. If it is just a one way, joining the black and red or brown and blue in the switch cable should turn it on.

If it does not, there is a break somewhere in the feed to that switch cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back