Lighting Problems in the Hallway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Have a few snags here. In my hallway I have two light switches, the single switch turns on/off the outside light only. The second double switch turns on/off the hallway light, and the landing light.

i'm stumped on how to wire these all together into one socket with the 3 independent swithes.

Any help will be most grateful.

I have also included a wiring diagram, im no artist!!!
cheers

Sponsored Links
What you need to to is, loop in from the hall way light to the outside light.
This will offer the outside light a live(line), neutral and earth.
Then at the outside light fitting, you can then connect a switch cable between the light and the new switch location, this will be done in T&E.
A helpful link to wiring diagrams for lighting circuits.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting

Sponsored Links
To, PrenticeBoyofDerry

Cheers for the reply, which is the best diagram to use?

royalfoster
If the hallway fittings will allow you to loop in as in ceiling rose and connect a enough space to install a switch cable within the outdoor fitting, the best diagram is; Using a loop in ceiling rose:
Remebering that the hallway fitting will have a supply and a to next fitting cables as well as the switch drop, but the outdoor fitting will be the last in line and only have a supply cable and the switch cable.

To PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thank you for the advice, the light is all wired in and working! Sweet.

Cheers
royalfoster

Not quite sure why, if you had a 2-gang and a 1-gang switch you couldn't simply transfer the connectivity from the 2-gang to 2 gangs of the 3-gang, and from the 1-gang to the remaining section of the 3-gang....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back