Adding extra light switch in hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hallway has 3 gang switch as below:

LHS side of switch = single core red cable - outside light
Middle = twin and earth - 2way to landing light (landing has single 2way light switch to hall light)
RHS = twin and earth - 1way to hallway light

I would like to add another switch at the other end of the hallway to control just the hallway light (not the landing light) so i can switch it on and of from either end of the hallway.

Would this require a 2way switch (changing the RHS of the switch from COM to L1 and L1 to L2 and then putting L1 to L1 and L2 to L2 in the new switch) and then linking both COM and the new switch COM..?…tried this but its not working as planned!..
:cry:

hallwaylightswitch.jpg

Sponsored Links
I see nothing wrong with what you describe.
Seems OK. Swapping L1 and L2 will only change if switch is up or down and so with 2 way not really important as long as com is correct.

You realise that with 2 way com does not connect to supply.

Do be careful that upstairs lamp is on same supply using a single feed very easy to get borrowed neutrals.

many thanks for the reply...i basically swapped the previous RHS COM cable to L1 and the L1 cable to L2 and put a junction box in and connected the new cable to these in the J box and ran it to the new 2way switch and where i wired the cables into the coresponding L1 and L2. I then ran a new COM cable between the two switches.

It looks from you diagram that i also need to:

connect the middle COM to Middle L1
connect RHS COM to RHS L2 and to LHS COM

as below?

at present the landing light loses 2way switching depending on the on/of status of the downstairs switches :confused:

Sponsored Links
:oops: ..quite right.. i should have done really..the cable leaving the light switches are twin and earth so because I had some available I used it as well..but on relection this wasnt best choice really...

otherwise you think that configuration should work?...i will give it a try tonight..thanks for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back