hall and landing light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having some plastering done the plasterers replaced the hall and landing light switches and since then the switching has not operated properly between floors, although the light still works

3 single switches serve one light socket with the following cables
Hallway
Red to Com
Yellow to 1way
Blue to 2way

First floor landing
Two cables
Both Reds to Com
Both Yellows to 1way
Both Blues to 2way

2nd floor landing
Red to Com
Yellow to 1way
Blue to 2way

There isn’t any Black or Red cabling. Is that right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on how they are wired as to wether there is any red/black switch wires in the switches, I take it the first floor landing is a 2gang 2way switch with one set of wires going to one switch and one set to the other? How do you mean not working properly?

Thanks for the reply.

They are all one gang switches and I used to be able to turn the light on and off from any of them. Now for example, I can be on the second floor and nothing happens when I throw the switch, but if I go down to the first floor and throw the switch, while nothing happens there, I then go back to the second floor and the switch then works.

Actually it's just occurred to me - they've replaced the intermediate switch on the first floor with a standard swiitch. Would that explain it? How should the colours go for the intermdiate switch?

Sponsored Links
For intermediate.

Connect both reds together in a sepoarate choc block

From one cable yellow to L1 Blue to L2
Frome the other cable yellow to L3, Blue to L4

Some intermediates are marked differently but yellow and blue to the top pair of termnals and the other yellow and blue to the bottom pair.

Let us know how it goes

TTC

Thanks TTC, it's now working - no more running up and down the stairs juggling switches.

Out of interest why doesn't the intermediate switch have a terminal for the red - why have to use choc block?

As for the plasterers, they didn't even do the plastering well so what hope replacing the switches. Still they thought they were being helpful.

SJRSJR said:
Out of interest why doesn't the intermediate switch have a terminal for the red - why have to use choc block?

Because all an intermediate switch does is swap the strapper continuity. The 'continuous' third cable will not always be present, depending on which wiring system has been used.

However, given that looping at light switches is becoming ever more popular (due to the cheap and nasty imported decorative lighting that doesn't provide for more than three conductors) it's surprising that more manufacturers don't produce switches with spare terminals for unswitched conductors.

thats easy.

it adds to the cost and people would think its an earth terminal

And its easier to have as few wires attached to the switch plate as poss, and put any neutrals, earths etc, in terminal block in the backbox.

And we all know how confused DIYers get when their new switch is a slightly different layout to the old one, and they haven't noted what went where before. . .

crafty1289 said:
And we all know how confused DIYers get when their new switch is a slightly different layout to the old one, and they haven't noted what went where before. . .

We love it! :D

Yup, every weekend the same posts:
-Replaced pendant, it doesnt work and/or half the house is in darkness
-Replaced two way light switch and it now doesnt work
-etc
-etc
-etc

Cant be difficult to make a note of what went where, can it :rolleyes:
Still it keeps me busy on a Monday sorting stuff like this out.....

TTC

You're all very very clever. Has anyone ever told you you should take it up for a living?

Think how the world would suffer if you couldn't pour scorn on all the DIY imbeciles, not to mention the professional ones! What would be the purpose in life! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back