ADDING AN OUTSIDE LIGHT TO AN EXISITN 2 WAY SOCKET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i WOULD LIKE TO PUT IN AN OUTSIDE LIGHT BY MY FRONT DOOR. I HAVE BOUGHT A DOUBLE SWITCHED SOCKET TO REPLACE THE SINGLE ONE ALREADY THERE AND THIS WILL THEN (HOPEFULLY) WORK BOTH MY NEW OUTSIDE LIGHT AND MY EXISTING HALLWAY LIGHT.....MY PROLEM IS MY HALLWAY LIGHT OPERATES FROM THIS SWITCH AND ANOTHER AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS AND I NEED TO USE SOME OF THE POWER FROM THIS SWITCH TO FEED MY NEW OUTSIDE LIGHT, THE SOCKET HAS 2 COM, 2 L1 AND 2L2 CURRENTLY ON THE FIRST SWITCHFOR THE HALLWAY IT IS WIRED...
L1....YELLOW, COM....RED AND L2...BLUE AND THEN EARTHED, HOW DO I GET A POWER FEED TO THE NEW LIGHT?
ANY HELP GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.
JACKIE :confused:

Sponsored Links
1) Please turn off your CAPS LOCK

2) You can't take power from a light switch... it doesn't work that way. You can however take power from the light fitting in the ceiling... probably from the hall lamp. Have a look at the "Electrics UK" Wiki and Sticky.

When you say "double switched socket"
do you mean one of these (double switched socket)
p1448968_l.jpg

or one of these (2-gang 2-way light switch)
p1684441_l.jpg

You take power from the nearest light or loop-in junction box, since there are no neutrals at your existing switch.

You have bought a double switch, not a double switched socket, i hope.

A double switched socket wont have the same effect ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Yes ive bought a double switch, sorry im not much good with electrical terminolgoy!!
Jackie

P.S The nearest light is upstairs as we live in a flat and the light is to go outside the door which is downstairs, there are no plug sockets or lights down there just a light switch..... is there any other way round it apart from going into a light?
Jackie

Is there actually a 3-pin socket outlet down there? This could be handy here.

<beat John to it this time> :evil:

After taking the power from the hall light, you weould have to cut a new channel into the wall if you want a light switch. It might be less work to take a live feed from the ceilking rose, and use a lamp with a "dusk to dawn" photocell so you don't need a switch. These are cheap to run with a small fluorescent lamp inside... mine is 8watt and runs for 125 hours for 9p worth of electricity.

crafty1289 said:
Is there actually a 3-pin socket outlet down there? This could be handy here.

<beat John to it this time> :evil:

Jackie560 said:
... there are no plug sockets or lights down there just a light switch

more haste, less speed :LOL:

Jackie560 said:
what would i need for a dawn to dusk light?

You need a power supply. Have a look round for the nearest and most convenient place you can take it from - a ceiling rose, or a wall socket. Light switch won't do.

You will probably end up having to run a new cable, either chased into the wall and plastered over, or on the surface. If you are not very skilled at this you might like to use mini-trunking fixed to the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling - it can be painted to match and is not very ugly. It is about an inch wide and less that half an inch deep, and you put the cable inside it and clip on the cover.

lol, sorry im not good at being patient lol.

Could you also help with a security light for the back garden. Its got a pir sensor on it..... does that mean it has to be wired into a permanent live for it to work?

Ta for all your help
Jackie

Yes.

They are usually taken off a lighting circuit, but if you want a great 500w floodlight to annoy the neighbours, you can put a fused spur on the socket circuit.

I have a feeling you might benefit from getting a DIY book on Wiring and Lighting, it is not practical to learn it all on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back