Do I need a new toilet handle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We recently changed the innards of our toilet cistern from syphon type to flapper valve type. Much impressed by the ease of use and the need for a very light touch. The only problem is that the handle stays down when left in that position and would not come back. This leaves the flap in up position and water keeps running. If we lift the handle after each flush, it stops the water running and the cistern fills up. We are still using the old handle (about 8 years old). It has plastic nuts which means WD 40 or other lubricants would not have desired effect. Do we need a new toilet handle and if yes, what type of toilet handle? Can I buy a spring-loaded handle which seems to be needed in this case or one with a steel ball bearing or any other such mechanism. Please recommend a handle to come back up by itself once the tolet is flushed and flap needs to be closed.

Thanks in advance

RS

Sponsored Links
What make of flapper valve?

Fluidmaster do a kit that converts to a handle operated valve. (Why not fit the button that almost certainly came with the flapper?)

You get a flapper valve and the mechanism shown below, minus the handle. You use your existing handle.
View media item 34318
507UKK071 or PRO71UK

Using a normal handle alone can lead to the chain becoming detached or the cistern lid becoming dislodged and broken.

Thanks Charnwood. The old handle work ok but it does not come back after flushing. I will look for the part you mentioned. Thanks a lot. Any idea where I could find it online?

RS

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back