Do I need an internal Buttress Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at removing a single skin internal wall which runs perpendicular to the rear external wall of the house. A steel beam will be inserted as the wall is load bearing. What I am concerned with is whether the internal brick wall acts as a buttress to the rear wall? The external wall is only 6m long. Building regulations discusses "long" walls needing internal buttress walls but doesnt give any length for "long" walls. Is it safe to assume that a 6m wall doesnt need an internal buttress? The wall in question is only single storey and there is no perpendicular wall on the 1st floor. Any help greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
A 6m wall needs tying in somehow. If not a wall then a pier or column, the work you propose will likely require a design by a structural engineer, and it would be wise to contact one before you do anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back