Do I need new double glazing, seals or neighbours? ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well - terraced house with chickens, cockerels, dogs and now a goose have led me to seriously consider getting the window problem solved.

The problem (other than with the zoo next door) is that the double-glazing windows (which were installed before I bought the house 11+ yrs ago) seem to let too much noise in - even when closed I can hear the faintest noise.. and a small draft when windy weather blows the curtains.

So.. is it the seal or the windows / glass need replacing?

Solutions - suppliers if seal please (are all seals identical???)

HELP - I keep getting woken up at 4.30 am by the cockerel!! :(

Sponsored Links
If you have a cock nearby, think about adding secondary glazing in your bedroom, preferably with a thicker pane of glass. They are very loud and Secondary Glazing with a good gap is much more effective at sound reduction.

You shouldn't be getting unintentional draughts - see if you can track them down, e.g. between the frames and the walls. I've used injectable plastic foam but I am only a simple householder and I've heard others say that the pressure it develops can cause problems.

The "rubber" seals around the glass are less likely to have a big enough gap to be the problem.

If you can hear noise with the windows closed and draughts are coming in, then the gasket around the window has probably failed.
Try this test.
Take a sheet of paper and see if you can insert it between the plastic window frame and the rubber gasket. If the paper goes in and can be moved in and out with ease, the gasket is not functioning and needs replacing.
If this is the cause of the draughts/noise, it has to do with the gasket becoming worn over the years by continuous use (silly but true).
There are new gaskets around that will not lose their thickness and purpose. I've recently had some fitted by Everest and they work very well. We are on a busy main road and the difference in noise between open and closed window is very significant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back