Double glazing window seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please, please, please, someone (expert hopefully) tell me that the actual seals (ie the black rubber) that are on DG windows are important in helping the sound proofing. You have a seal on the window that opens and another on the casing it shuts against. I live in a country where mumpets build the houses. Both of these window 'seals' are incredibly thin and there is no 'resistance', no 'pressure', no 'seal' when you close the windows and we can still here everything that is going on outside. Yes it is reduced slightly but not enough for having double glazed windows!! And not enough to give you a peaceful nights sleep!! I am several hundred yards away from a fairly busy road and from inside my house I can here all the traffic, every lorry and their air brakes. I could even here someone talking outside of my garden with all the windows shut, blackout curtains and ordinary curtains. I am trying to explain to the window company here, that the windows need to 'seal' when you shut them. I am going out of my tree here. Please help :) Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a very similar problem, the seal i have is just a brush type and lets a lot of noise through as well. I started researching this recently, after putting up with the windows for about 5 years, as i noticed the seals on my dads newly installed units provided a much snugger seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back