Doubled glazed window seal repair

11 Aug 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I've noticed on two of my windows, the rubber seal on the outside has deteriorated and snapped. The units appear fine (no condensation) but I would like to replace this seal. Trouble is, whenever I Google window seal, glazing tape, or gasket seal, it just keeps taking me to the rubber seal between the window and the frame for when you close it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I need to be purchasing?


  • 20220213_155539.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Search for E gasket or wedge gasket, being internally glazed you'll most certainly have E gasket, wedge is for externally glazed windows. The trouble with E gasket is in order to clip it into the groove in the frame the glass has to come out so unless your confident in doing so maybe its an idea to convert to wedge gasket and leave the glass in situ, next step is to measure the gap between the glass and frame and get the correct thickness gasket, measure roughly and buy a sample bag of various thicknesses to try and go from there
Thanks for the prompt response. I had been looking at those types of gasket but was confused by the appearance of what is there already which appeared just to be a strip of rubber with a flat bottom attached to a clear plastic strip on the underside which I had assumed was an adhesive strip.

However, a quick photo on the outside suggests that the plastic strip was probably attached to the remaining rubber in the recess which must be the rest of the seal that clips in.


  • 20220213_170543.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links