Do I need planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,
I have been searching forums / internet / government publications looking for an answer to the question "Do I need planning permission".

My proposed orangery ticks all the boxes for permitted development except for one.

The original house width was 8MTRS and the orangery width is 4.8M. The permitted development states that the extension can not be more than 50% of the original house width.. however I already have two extensions on my home side elevation which this extension would effectively be "Bridging".

If you look at the below attachment it shows the current and proposed floor plans.

On my floor plans the canopy, entrance hall, utility room and living room are both recent extensions built under separate planning applications over the past 5 years. The original house effectively stopped where my courtyard doors are in the kitchen.

All I am effectively doing is turning the courtyard into an orangery.

Any advice or thoughts?

Sponsored Links
When considering permitted development, you look at the original house, not the house as extended.

As your proposed extension is greater than 1/2 the width of the house, and extends beyond a wall forming the (original) side elevation, it would fall foul of A1(h) and would therefore not be p.d.

Sponsored Links
It's not a question anybody can answer. If in doubt, ask and seek pre-application advice prior to submitting a formal application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back